Friday, April 17, 2009

No more flu shots!

I rarely take a sick day from school. If I do it's a mental health day because I'm sick of school. :) I usually have one of those a year. I just don't get sick very often. At least I didn't get sick very often until two years ago when I started getting flu shots. I got my first flu shot ever in November of 2007 and in February 2008 while I was at a conference in New Orleans where I was to speak at one of the sessions, I came down with horrible cold, cough, and sore throat. What was supposed to be an exciting adventure turned into something I had to drag myself through.

This year I got another flu shot and last weekend (Easter) I got sick again. Same thing, cold, sore throat, and cough. And this year we were in New York City. We arrived in NYC to visit our daughter and both my husband and I became sick as dogs. We didn't feel sick as we started our journey, it hit us suddenly and simultaneously, and once in the city it was clear...sore throats, feverish, headache and bad coughs. It's impossible to be sick on Easter weekend when visiting your daughter in NYC. So, each morning we'd put on our happy healthy faces as we dragged ourselves out of bed, showered, shampooed, makeup (me:) and dressed to begin a fun-filled, action-packed, non-stop day in the Big Apple.

But each night back in the hotel we'd collapse on the beds. The room took on the look of a hospital ward with Kleenex, Robitussin, cough drops, NyQuil and bottles of water strewn everywhere, and the two of us completely zonked on our beds, wheezing, coughing, moaning, groaning.

This was an important trip. We were meeting the new boyfriend and he was hosting us at his home for Easter brunch. He made a great impression, brunch was both delicious and lovely. But as for us, our first impression...not so much.

We managed and didn't die, although there were a few subway rides where I thought I might. :)

So here's what I've decided, Boyfriend :) ... Flu shots :(

No comments: